Termites are a common pest in Arizona and a constant threat to homes throughout the state. Unfortunately, many people don’t even know that they have a termite infestation until after a lot of costly damage has already been done. That is why it is so important to know how to spot termites and signs of termite damage in your home. When it comes to identifying termites, however, many homeowners wonder, how big are termites and what do they look like?
How Big Can Termites Get?
How big are termites? Essentially, a termite’s size will depend on its species, age and function within the colony. Desert Subterranean termites, one of the most common species in Arizona, are typically smaller than other species of termites, with soldiers ranging in length from one centimeter to only a few millimeters in length. Swarmers, on the other hand, can measure as much as 3/8 of an inch, including their translucent wings, which are shed once reproductive swarmers have found a suitable site to form a new colony.
What Do Termites Look Like?
Again, the appearance of termites varies depending on what species it is and whether it is a soldier, swarmer, or other type of termite. Subterranean worker termites – the type most commonly found in Arizona homes – are light tan or yellow in color and look similar to an ant. Swarmers are larger and have two pairs of translucent wings.
What Are Some Signs Of Termites?
- Below are some of the most common signs that you have a termite infestation:
- A swarm of winged termites in or around your home
- Cracked or warped paint around common entry points to your home, such as windows and doors
- Piles of frass, which is wood-colored termite droppings
- Wood that makes a hollow sound when tapped with a hammer or the head of a screwdriver
- Mud tubes or mazes present on exterior walls
- Small piles of discarded wings of swarmers in your home or yard
If you see any of these signs of termites, or spot an actual termite in your home, you need to get a termite inspection as soon as possible. Don’t let the relatively small termite size fool you. These are tiny little insects that can do a whole lot of damage to your house. Call (877) 556-4131 today if you want more information on how big are termites or to schedule an appointment for a FREE termite inspection from the professionals at ACTION Termite Control.