If you’ve just purchased your first home, you may not be aware of the hidden danger of termites. The damage wrought by a termite infestation can cost you thousands of dollars to fix, so it is a good idea to learn what termites look like and how to tell if you have termites in your home. So, exactly how do you get termites? Below are a few tips on identifying termites and preventing termite infestations on your property.
What Termites Look Like
There are many different species of termites in Arizona. While not all termites look exactly alike, insects of most species have the same basic body shape and features. At first glance, most people mistake termites for ants. There are several key differences, however, including:
- Head: A termite’s head is round in shape, in comparison to an ant’s, which is triangular.
- Body: Termites have slender abdomens that are soft and unprotected. Ants, on the other hand, have much shorter and wider abdomens that are protected by an armored carapace.
- Antennae: A termite’s antennae are straight, whereas an ant’s are bent.
- Wings: Swarmer termites have two pairs of translucent wings of equal length. While winged ants also have two sets of wings, the front pair is longer than those in the rear.
By knowing these differences, you can easily distinguish a termite from an ant.
How To Tell If You Have Termites
Early detection of a termite infestation is essential to preventing costly damage to your home. Here a few few tips on how to tell if you have termites:
- Mud tubes leading up to your home
- Swarms of insects in the spring
- Small piles of wings that have been shed by swarmers
- Mazes on interior or exterior walls
- Frass, or wood-colored termite feces that resembles sawdust
- Hollow-sounding wood when lightly tapped with a solid object
If you see any of these signs of an infestation, you may have a termite problem. To find out if you have termites and to protect your home from future infestations, it is a good idea to get a professional termite inspection. If you’re still wondering how do you get termites or would like to learn more about the termite treatments available at ACTION Termite Control, call (877) 556-4131 now.